Friday, August 12, 2011

Photo Op Backdrop Tutorial

When I started blogging I knew tutorials would be my downfall.  I'm not a creator, I'm a copier.  I love doing all the tutorials I come across in blogland but coming up with one of my own was out of the picture!  But then it happened...I got asked to be a part of a surprise birthday party for a friend and I just went crazy!  The theme: 90s Dance Club.  And of course I'm a picture freak so I needed something fun for pictures.  So as I'm making this I realize..."I just came up with something all on my own!"  And I was so proud of myself.  Yay! 

Here goes my Photo Op Backdrop Tutorial.

What you need:
Newsprint or Butcher Paper
Red and Black Spray Paint
Scissors
Tape

First cut out your desired design to make a stencil.  


I used my cricket and made 3 just in case I messed up.

Next I rolled out two long sheets of newsprint.  Make sure they are tall enough that you can stand in front of it and it is taller than you.

You want to make a frame for your stencil so when you spray paint you're not getting the paint everywhere.  I used more newsprint, cut a piece much larger than the stencil, cut out the middle and taped the stencil in place.  Like so...

I covered up the heart because it was going to be a different color.

Start painting!  The spray paint dried really fast so I didn't have to wait in between stencils to move on to the next one.

After I got all the black painted I made another framed stencil for just the heart that was going to be red and then painted each one.

And then I made another one!  Then you can fit more people in front of it.

Maybe I should have worn gloves.

Simple craft, super fast and super fly!



What do you think?  Good tutorial?  Have you done anything like this before?  I would love to see other versions....so I can copy!

P.S.  I'm linking up here…







Thirty Hand Made Days

2 comments:

tousled day said...

I like it. Maybe I'll copy :)

Rach H @ FamilyEverAfter said...

Dinah, I didn't know you had a new blog. This is so fun! I love it!

I'm so glad you linked this tutorial. I think its awesome. I wish I had a fun 90's dance party to go to! Way to go on your first tutorial. I think its really creative, and totally you :)

I'm your newest follower!